Oregon Pacific Railroad 5100
Last Update:  April 10, 2013
Oregon Pacific Railroad No. 5100
Number 5100 is a very interesting locomotive.  It was one of several diesels that served on the Weyerhauser Mohawk
Division.   More information on that railroad can be found on this
Southern Pacific & Weyerhauser Mohawk Division Article.

The No. 5100, is a GE 70 tonner, built in 1949.   The Weyerhauser Mohawk Division was abandoned in 1986.    Richard
Samuels purchased it in 1989, along with the No. 5104.   It was later painted in its current Southern Pacific colors in 2001, for
the Southern Pacific Historical Society convention that was held in the Portland area, that year.   

Its currently stored out of service.   Several years ago, a new V-12 Detroit diesel engine was installed to replace the original
FWL-6T.   The new engine makes slightly less power, estimated to be around 450 h.p.   The 70 tonner is currently not
operational.   Restoration work was nearly finished, when worked stopped to pursue other projects and the locomotive is in
good condition.  However, plans are to finish restoring the locomotive and get it operational again during the winter of
2013/2014.

The 5100 was originally purchased in 1989 to augment the No. 100 in scrapping out the Boring branch and it was put to use
in those duties for several years.   Original plans included turning the sister of the No. 5100, former Weyerhauser unit No.
5104 into a slug and mating the two locomotives together for use in regular service on the East Portland Branch, but this
never materialized.   No. 100 continued most duties on the East Portland Branch, backed up by the No. 5100 on occasion.

The 5100 has not been operational since at least approximately 2001.    In June, 2007, the 5100 was brought out for the
2007 summer event with the SP&S 700 and was hooked up to the PTC 100 and put on display in the consist and pulling
passengers, but did not run.

The 5104 was in poor condition and was scrapped, but Mr. Samuels was able to salvage the trucks which were later installed
on the
102, a GE 80 ton locomotive that was sold/leased to the Columbia Business Park Railroad.

The GE 70 tonner is considered a relatively rare locomotive in current operational service, due to its small size and low power
output and difficulty obtaining parts.  Because it was one of the first locomotives purchased by Mr. Samuels and put into
operational use, it will likely stay on the OPR roster as a display locomotive and may eventually be returned to occasional
service in special events or as a back up locomotive.

Here's a photo of the 5100 while it was serving with the Southern Pacific in 1971.  And another.  Another one from 1974.
In 1977 it was transfered to the Weyerhauser Springfield Branch, painted yellow and renumbered 2901.
The 5100 at the July 2007 summer event.  While the 5100 was still not running, it was attached to the PTC 001 and public was able to see it.
The 5100 at the OPR shops in Milwualkie.   Eventually its restoration will be complete and it will be running again.
photos:  2007
Cab of the 5100
photos:  2007
This page has some additional interesting photos of the 5100.
The 5100 at the OPR shops in Milwualkie.
photos:  2006
Photo on the right shows it in Mohawk, Oregon on the Weyerhauser line in approximately 1986.  (The 2nd locomotive in the consist)  Courtesy of
Grant James.   Photos: (left) Jan. 2005  (right)  1986, courtesy of Grant James.
Photos of the 5100 by my uncle Geron Marcom
photos:  2007
Copyright © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved
Webmaster  
Brian McCamish
In Search of History Expeditions
Active & Abandoned Railroads of the Northwest
Webmaster Email
Photos of the 5100 in June, 2009
photos:  2009
History of the GE 70 tonner

The GE 70 tonner is a 4 axle switch engine that was built by General Electric from January 1946 to approximately 1958.   
Approximately 238 units were built.  Horse power varied, but was generally around 600 h.p. for most units.   They weighed
approximately 139,000 lbs.  Fuel capacity was about 500 gallons.  

The 5100 was part of a 21 unit order by the Southern Pacific in the late 1940s and early 1950s.   It was the first unit delivered.
The 5100 was originally delivered with a single round headlight, but later upgraded by the SP with a twin sealed beam unit
that you see on it today.

This engine survived the scrappers as Weyerhauser needed a relatively light engine with light axle loads to operate over a
weak bridge on the Southern Pacific / Weyerhauser owned Mohawk Division.   SP sold several of its 70 tonner units to
Weyerhauser, in the early 1960s and Weyerhauser continued to operate GE 70 tonners on this line for several decades.  

This particular locomotive...No. 5100...remained in SP service until 1977, when it was finally transferred to Weyerhauser.  Its
longevity in SP service, may be why it was the better condition of all of the 70 tonners, when operations ended.
Photos of the 5100 in approximately 1989, when it was first aquirred by Mr. Samuels for his Samuels Pacific Steel business in preparation for
scrapping the Boring Line of the PTC.
Sameuls Family Collection
A photo of the 5100 taken probably not long before it was transferred to Weyerhauser.
Sameuls Family Collection
Photos of the restoration and reengine of the 5100, taken probably around 1990.
Sameuls Family Collection
The 5100 having been freshly repainted in a combination of former SP colors and Samuels Pacific markings is being used here in 1990 to scrap
the former PTC Boring Branch.
Sameuls Family Collection
The 5100 is currently proudly on display outside the main front doors of the
Oregon Rail Heritage Center.
Photos of the 5100 in early 2013 at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center
photos:  2013