Copyright © 2004-2011 All Rights Reserved
Webmaster  
Brian McCamish
In Search of History Expeditions
Active & Abandoned Railroads of the Northwest
Webmaster Email
Last Update:  October 19, 2010
802 over the Molalla River bridge  Photos courtesy of Tim Samuels, OPR
The original number boards of the 802.   These rare items were often removed on switcher locomotives in later years as they were of the 802,
years ago.  But the OPR was able to obtain the original number boards and while they may look in sad shape, they will be restored and
reinstalled on the 802 when it undergoes it's restoration to full Southern Pacific colors and configuration.   
This photo of the 802 was taken in
1980 when the 802 was the SP No. 1127 and still had the number boards in place.
Restoration Update 4-22-10
After several years of working on the OPR's Molalla Branch, the 802 was returned to the Milwaukie Shops on April 3, 2010.   
Plans were to immediately begin the restoration process of the 802, first by stripping and sanding the body.
 
Other No. 802 photos in active OPR service prior to the restoration
The 802 was purchased by Mr. Samuels in approximately 2004 and has served on both branch lines.   It appears to be
painted in Northern Pacific colors, but the prior owners were the Lewis & Clark Railroad (LINC) before they ceased
operating.   LINC incorporated the NP markings into their own logo as they operated on a former NP branch line.  The 802
was numbered 81 when operating with LINC, and is sometimes mistakening confused for the former LINC No. 82.  Prior to
that, it was Southern Pacific 1127 and prior to 1965 was SP No. 4622.

The 802 was built in January, 1954 as an EMD SW8, serial no. 19495, frame no. 4246-1.   It is powered by an
EMD 8-567-B/C, V-8 making 800 h.p.  It has the additional feature of dynamic brakes.   It is the only locomotive in the OPR
service with dynamic brakes.
First picture on far left is courtesy of Kevin Novak, showing the 802 at the OPR Canby interchange on April 2nd, ready to be picked up by the UP
Oregon City switcher to deliver to Milwaukie.  All other photos were taken during the move from the East Portland Yards to Milwaukie, over the East
Portland Branch, on April 3rd.
Photos of the 802 in the OPR Milwuakie shops on April 21, 2010.   Over the past few weeks, disassembly as begun, including removal of the rails,
hood bolts and other parts, required for hood removal.   Over the next few weeks, the current trucks will be exchanged for a set of car trucks while
the original trucks are restored and repaired.  The hood will be removed for easier access of internal components.
This page is about the restoration of Southern Pacific No. 1127, otherwise known as OPR No. 802.   For more
information and photos of the 1127 / 802, please visit our
OPR No. 1127 roster page.
Restoration of Southern Pacific No. 1127  (Former OPR/EPTC No. 802)
By late 2009, the 802 was sidelined on the Molalla Branch due to mechanical issues.   Because the 801 was repaired in 2009
and with the
901 fully operational, the 802 remained mostly in storage on Molalla Branch, awaiting its eventual return to the
Milwaukie Shops for a full restoration.   By early spring of 2010, the 802 was found be vandalized while stored near Canby,
Oregon and it was decided to return the 802 immediately and begin restoration in April, 2010.

The 802 was selected for full restoration, as opposed to several other SW8s in OPR storage at the time, because the 802 has
a historical heritage with the Southern Pacific, is in good restorable mechanical condition, is largely original, and probably
most importantly, has dynamic brakes.  A feature not found on any other OPR locomotive.
Background
The 802/1127 has a history of multiple truck swaps during its time with the OPR.   When the 802 was purchased from LINC in 2004, it was
equipped with friction bearing trucks.    Because plans were to transport the 802 over the Union Pacific mainline to the OPR and eventually
transport between the two branch lines, over the UP mainline, roller bearing trucks were mandatory.

The OPR obtained a set of roller bearing trucks from a slug that was purchased and later scrapped.  Those trucks were swapped in for the 802's
original friction bearing trucks at Battleground, Washington.   The 802 then rode on those trucks between 2004 and 2010 while serving on the
OPR.     

The original trucks of the 802 were brought back to Milwaukie and placed in outside storage.   It was originally intended to install the original
trucks back on the 802 once restoration was begun.  However, in July 2009, thieves stole all of the brass journals and lateral thrust blocks of the
trucks, rendering them useless.  Some parts were eventually recovered, but not all were usable.

The 802 returned to the Milwaukie Shops in April, 2010, wearing the roller bearing trucks.   In that same month, a deal was struck with Western
Rail to trade
OPR 602 and OPR 803 for a new locomotive, a GMD-1.   As part of that deal, the No. 803, which sat on friction bearing trucks, would
need to be shipped north over the UP and BNSF mainlines on a set of roller bearing trucks.

In June, 2010, the roller bearing trucks of the 802 were removed and installed under the 803.  The friction bearing trucks of the 803, which are still
in good operational shape, were then returned to the Milwaukie shops, where they will be placed under the 802.

The 802 is not expected to leave the East Portland Branch, once it is restored and therefore, friction bearing trucks are acceptable.

To see the the old 802 trucks being swapped under the No. 803, be sure to visit our OPR No. 803 roster page.
Brief History of the 802 / 1127
Restoration Plans
The 802 / 1127 will be restored very close to it's original configuration as a Southern Pacific Switcher from the 1960s time
period.   Paint will be the Scarlett red/grey colors of that period with the original numbering of 1127, which was applied to this
engine by the SP in 1965.   The restoration will be extensive and will involve cosmetically restoring the entire engine and cab,
as well as overhauling the diesel engine and all major mechanical and electronic parts.  

Extensive work is underway and will continue that involve replacing many steel parts of the body and frame that were
damaged from half a century of heavy railroad use.

Additional modifications include adding the original hood number boards and unique original whistles and original oscillating
headlights that will be potentially donated to the restoration by gracious rail fans and friends of the OPR.

Restoration is a priority but the project will be ongoing for many months as resources and man power is limited.  Other
projects and repairs will take priority when necessary.   Expected completion date is sometime late in 2011.
Expected Service Use after Restoration
Once restored, the then numbered 1127 will be permanently assigned to the East Portland Branch.   It will augment OPR No.
100 and No. 1202.  With its dynamic braking and higher visibility cab, it will likely see extensive service in switching operations
involving the steep grades at the south end of the branch, as well as be brought out for special historical occasions.
Other Photos of Parts and other Details of the OPR 802 / 1127
Restoration Update 6-6-10
Since arriving at the OPR shops, crews have gone to work stripping the locomotive of numerous parts in preparation for a
detailed disassembly, which will include complete removal of the hood.   In this process, things such as the railings, steps,
numerous bolts and other parts were removed.   The front of the engine has been extensively disassembled including all
lighting, the front radiators and radiator fan.   The hood has not yet been removed, but will be shortly.
A few more photos of the 802 partly disassembled awaiting more work and the solid and very heavy aluminum fan propped up
against the shop wall.
The OPR crew had to do some switching to move the trucks and the 802/1127 into proper position for loading later.  Each traction truck weighes
32,000lbs!   Once switched around by the 1202, the 802/1127 was back in the shop where it will remain for a while, while the former 802/1127
traction trucks sit out and await transport to the Molalla Branch, where they will be installed on the
OPR 803.
Photos are courtesy of Craig Samuels.  From left to right:
(1) 802 being prepared for disassembly (2) Brian Samuels begins needle scaling the body  (3 & 4)  Engine fan is removed (5)  OPR No. 100
(small version) verses full size No. 802.  (6)  rear of cab after being needling scaled with paint largely removed.
Photos are courtesy of Craig Samuels.
An accident sometime during the 802's 50+ year history caused minor damage and bending of the front of the frame.   The OPR decided to cut out
this bent piece of steel and weld in a brand new straight piece.   These photos show the extensive work required to cut out the thick steel.
Restoration Update 6-12-10
Photos are courtesy of Craig Samuels.
The front of the locomotive was jacked up first on day 1 of the swap.   The old traction motor truck was removed and a car truck put in it's place.   
The remove the traction motor within the height limits of the shop, parts of the stairwell and frame have to be cut off.  But everything will be
rewelded and redone good as new when finished.
Photos are courtesy of Craig Samuels.
The car truck being readied and mounted under the No. 802.   Note the very extensive heady duty adapter entirely custom made by the OPR's
Brian Samuels as a way to mount the car truck to the locomotive truck mount.
Photos are courtesy of Craig Samuels.
A few days later, the same thing was done to the rear traction truck, with a temporarily car truck installed on its place.
Photos are courtesy of Craig Samuels.
A few days after they were removed from under the 802, the trucks were loaded on a flat bed trailer and hauled out the Molalla Branch, where they
were installed under the No. 803.  These traction trucks weigh about 32,000lbs each...so only one could hauled at a time.
For more photos and info about the No. 803 truck swap, please visit the
No. 803 Roster Page.
With the purchase of the No. 1413 and other projects, most work on the 1127 has been temporarily halted for several months.  However, work on
smaller parts of the project, such as the oscillating lights, have continued as a set of  lights that the OPR has obtained are being restored to
operating condition.

Steve Sloan took a great picture of SP No. 1127 back in 1975, with much of its original configuration and paint, for which the OPR intends the
restore the locomotive too.   Obviously, it look much newer, but this rare historical photo of the 1127 is a great rendition of what the OPR 1127 will
look like when the restoration is completed.  Special thanks to Steve Sloan for sharing his photo.  
You can check out other
Steve Sloan photos here on his website.
Restoration Update 10-10-10
Ken Rattennee was kind enough to allow the OPR to display two of his historic photos of the SP 1127 in action during the late 1970s. Ken
describes the first photo as the following...
1127 was not the usual coach yard switcher for the Cahill Street Coach Yard. That duty fell to SW1500
2689, which worked the yard from 1973 when it was delivered until CalTrans took over the commute line in 1982. Most likely, 2689 was out for
inspection and 1127 was subbing.
  The second photo is described by Ken as...Here is another view of 1127, this time working the freight lead for
Newhall Street Yard in San Jose. The other end of that yard - the west end - was called Santa Clara Yard because the the facility crossed city
boundries. The actual area of the photo is known as College Park and this track connects with the smaller College Park Yard (just east of the this
location) with Newhall Street Yard. Or at least it did. Both yards are no more.

Both photos are by Ken Rattennee.
http://www.rattenne.com/
Restoration Update 10-19-10